| || |
- Asparagus is sold as roots (crowns) or seed.
- When buying roots(crowns) they are usually 1 year old roots.
- Asparagus grows best in sandy, well drained soil.
- Fertilize in early June following harvest so that the ferns grow as much as possible during the summer.
- Asparagus is not harvested for the first 3 years.
- The spears will grow into ferns and should be left to grow until fall or the following spring. The fern is what feeds the crown nutrients so that it will produce asparagus spears again the following spring.
- After harvesting, place it in cold water to wash it off and then into the refrigerator. It will stay fresher if chilled before preparing it to eat.